[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Sep 18 08:25:00 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:28:08AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]
> I went through a few-years-long period where I was constantly
> replacing failed power supplies. Then I finally decided to splurge on
> a GOOD one, huge wattage, very reputable company, and at *least* twice
> the $$$ I'd ever spent on a power supply before.
>
> Never had another power supply problem since. (Knock on wood...)

Yeah, all those cheap PSU's you get from door-crasher sales, all those
are crap. They start behaving funny after 2 years (if even that) and
randomly shutting off for no reason on the 3rd anniversary. The PSU is
one of those things that you *want* to make a good investment in.

> One important thing to keep on mind (that I've learned from Tom's
> Hardware and Sharky Extreme) is that power supply manufacturer
> apparently lie about their wattages as a regular matter of course. Ie,
> if it says "X Watts", then you're never going to get it to even about
> 0.9*X without the stupid thing blowing up. So keep that in mind when
> shopping.

Heh. Reminds me of my UPS... I bought it to protect my very expensive
PSU from power surges/failures, but guess what? The PSU is still running
and the UPS has been dead for 4 years. :-P

> Regarding HDDs, I've sworn I will *never* run a main system again
> without a GOOD always-on SMART monitor like Hard Disk Sentinel
> <http://www.hdsentinel.com/>. In fact, that's one of the main reasons
> I haven't switched my primary OS from Win to Linux yet, because I
> can't find a good Linux SMART monitor. (Manually running a CLI program
> - or writing a script to do it - doesn't even remotely count.) Oooh!
> Actually, now that I've looked up that link, it looks like they do
> have an early Linux version now. Awesome, I'm gonna have to try that
> out.

Sounds like something I *should* be running. I'll have to look into
that.

Живёшь только однажды.