[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:22:50 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 at 08:27:31 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> Regarding HDDs, I've sworn I will *never* run a main system
> again
> without a GOOD always-on SMART monitor like Hard Disk Sentinel
> <http://www.hdsentinel.com/>. In fact, that's one of the main
> reasons I
> haven't switched my primary OS from Win to Linux yet, because I
> can't
> find a good Linux SMART monitor. (Manually running a CLI program
> - or writing a script to do it - doesn't even remotely count.)
> Oooh!
> Actually, now that I've looked up that link, it looks like they
> do
> have an early Linux version now. Awesome, I'm gonna have to try
> that
> out.

I do believe conky can provide SMART monitoring.
http://conky.sourceforge.net/

Although periodically running GSmartCtl (GUI front-end to the
command line tool) isn't a bad idea, either, to see the specific
details (spin-ups, heat stress, etc) and/or execute the drive's
self-test.