[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:37:06 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 at 19:03:40 UTC, Jan Knepper wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 03:48 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> ?? I don't have such problems with my computers, and I tend to
>> run them
>> for 5 years before upgrading. The HD failure rate is about the
>> same as
>> in the 80's. Of course, we no longer have to deal with
>> floppies that get
>> corrupted often.
>>
>> The most common failure I've had are the power supplies,
>> they're still
>> as bad today as in the 80's.
>>

> Never had a power supply failure... But all my power supplies
> can handle a lot more than they are used for.
>
> The #0 failure I see is HD... :-( I have had the necessary
> disks die on me in the last 20 years...

Neither have I... in the past 10 years (young dev here).

However, I've had 3 SSDs crap out on me in less than a month...
out of 3... on 3 different computers. I'm on my fourth now. 4
months running.

The worst part about an SSD failure is the utter and total lack
of warning. One day, everything is green. The next day, the bios
can't see it. Game over.

I've had friends ask me to "investigate" blue screens and
intermittent errors. The HDD was dye-ING, but the data/os still
salvageable. Not so with an SSD.