[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 14:42:59 PDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:50:18 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> Actually, it's a little too effective: It's impossible to reach down
> into my pocket and adjust the volume because it plain refuses to *let*
> me adjust the volume without taking it out, pushing "Lock" or "Home",
> sliding the touch-slider, and *then* using the damn volume buttons -
> which *still* don't even do what I want most of the time.

If you want to adjust the ringer volume, yes.  If you want to adjust the
volume of something that is currently playing (like a song), it works
without having to unlock.

I find the silent switch more useful, I don't often change ringer volumes.

> And there's
> a ton of other issues I have had with the devices, like poor accuracy
> (because my fingers aren't <=1mm in diameter and the damn thing won't
> even register touches from anything that's actually more accurate).

There are styli for capacitive screens, they aren't that great, but better
than a finger.  But no place to store them on the phone.  I think Samsumg
has a stylus-based capacitive screen phone called the Galaxy note.

But I have not had much of a problem with accuracy.  In certain cases when
I'm browsing the web, I have to zoom in to accurately tap a link.
However, my touch screens that I had with my palm Treo, and Windows Mobile
6 phones both sucked at accuracy.  I spent so much time "calibrating"
them, and even then, I couldn't click on anything near the edges.

My Windows Mobile phone I completely gave up on using the touch screen at
all, I got very good at using the keyboard shortcuts.  The only thing I
ever used the stylus for was playing solitaire, and even then, I had
trained myself to offset my tap locations based on what part of the screen
I was on.  I literally knew exactly where to tap if I wanted to move
whatever card to another pile -- and it wasn't uniform!

-Steve