[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Sep 18 20:32:29 PDT 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:10:03 -0700
> Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 18, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/18/2012 2:08 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>>
>>> My car stereo takes a USB stick. I specifically picked that model
>>> for that reason. CDs in the car suck.
>>
>> Mine does bluetooth, so I don't even have to take my phone out of my
>> pocket to listen to music.
>
> My dad's car has bluetooth connected up to his phone. Every time he
> starts his car and turns the radio on, about half a minute later the
> radio cuts completely out and there's an entirely useless voice saying
> "Device Connected" (or something like that, I forget the exact words).
> Then it switches his radio back on.
>
> I can always tell when he's calling me with it, too, because I can't
> make out a single word he says (and then he compensates by talking
> louder which just makes it worse).
>
> Meh, it's like there's no such thing as good design anymore.
>
> Actually, music over bluetooth? Wouldn't even an FM transmitter be
> better quality? (Well, unless you have one of those newer antennas
> that can't be retracted.) Bluetooth has *really* bad bandwidth.

Bluetooth 3.0 HR does something like 25 Mbit/s. The trick is finding a car stereo that supports the high bitrate for audio. I agree with you about the phone support, but it's because the mic is shoddy rather than anything about Bluetooth. I don't use the phone setup in my car very often for that reason.  With noise reduction turned on I just sound like I'm under water, and with it off it's just noisy in general. My car doesn't offer a very quiet ride though, to be fair.