[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:47:11 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 09:19:13 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 08:53:33 UTC, monarch_dodra
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 08:36:46 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
>>>

>>> What exactly do you guys _do_ with your computer that
>>> suddenly breaks the power supplies?! Maybe I'm just too young
>>> to know, but I've never seen a power supply break...
>>
>> I once tried to do some GPU calculations. After several hours,
>> the PSU failed, frying my components. The graphics card was
>> literally ON FIRE (!). Nothing was salvageable.
>>
>> Anyways, that is what *THAT* is how to kill a PSU, and *THAT*
>> is what happens when they fail...
>
> Dang that's... intense. o.o
>
> Are laptop power supplies more durable or something?
> None of my laptops (or anyone's laptop I know) have had
> problematic power supplies...

The difference is that a laptop's wattage is nowhere near the
wattage of a desktop. This is even truer of modern computer,
where desktops consume even more power, whereas laptops are
consuming much less. I've never had a problem with a laptop "PSU
block" itself... Not that I can say the same about the batteries.

I have about 2 laptops at home, whose batteries are left with,
literally, 0 charge. Even a simple split second power cut, and
they fill turn off :(