[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:54:28 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 at 21:19:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:12:50 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>>
>> Reformatting and reinstalling, though, is a matter of course
>> on any Windows installation that I've ever seen. I've heard of
>> such things as stable Windows installations, but as far as my
>> experience goes those are mythical beasts.
>
> My desktop's XP installation (SP2 even) has been aces for
> years. And years ago, when I did have to reinstall, it was just
> because of something stupid I'd done.
>
> I've seen plenty of screwed up Win boxes (even Win7), but it's
> always owned by someone who doesn't even know what a "web
> browser" is, so I figure chances are it's due to one of two
> things:
>
> A. The user doing something stupid.
>
> B. The user not using the web the way I do: with Adblock Plus
> installed, and JS and Flash disabled by default.

I vote +1 for (A). :)

It's not a mythical beast, it's sitting right in front of me!

My situation with Windows 7 has been quite stable too.

FYI, my Windows is run:
- Without any antimalware software of any kind (I hate them)
- Always with admin privileges (UAC turned off)
- In "Test Mode" (security risk in terms of digital signatures)
- I currently boot 5 OSes:
   - Windows 7 x64, the original which the laptop came with, which
I use 99% of the time
   - Windows 8 I installed a few weeks ago for trying it out
   - Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit for testing stuff
   - Linux (Ubuntu) x64 for when I need it
- I mess with partitions every few weeks
- I hack around with Windows internals quite a bit ;)

Guess which OS is the one that I've reinstalled a bazillion
times? Ubuntu.

And it _still_ doesn't boot automatically!
I tell it to install Grub, and it says OK.
It even _force_ it to reinstall Grub, and it says OK, I
reinstalled myself.
Then I reboot and it goes onto the screen and just... doesn't
boot.
I have to type in the boot sequence commands myself.
Why? Because a random, unrelated partition on the disk changed
and Ubuntu freaked out.

At least when Windows has the occasional boot problem which I
stupidly caused, it's _fixable_ and doesn't lie to you about
having fixed it!!