[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:49:58 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 17:29:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:02:24PM +0200, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> The issue is that in one case you know how to fix it and in
>> the other one you do not (and you care less about it because
>> you prefer to think Windows is superior as it is what you use
>> '99% of the time'),  not that the problems are inherently
>> (un)fixable.
>
> Yeah, that's one of the things that irks me about Windows
> culture. It's touted as being "user-friendly" and "easy to
> use", etc., but actually it requires just as much effort as
> learning to use Linux. People complain about how Linux is hard
> to use or things break for no reason, but the same thing
> happens with Windows -- you either do things the Windows way
> (which requires that you learn what it is), or you quickly run
> into a whole bunch of gratuitous incompatibilities and bugs
> that nobody cares about because you aren't "supposed" to do
> things that way.

Yeah, they're "fixable" by your definition all right.

It's just that when you ask people how, either no one you ask
knows why, or they try to convince you that you're an idiot for
even thinking about asking."

Relevant examples:

It's next-to-impossible to go on a forum and ask about fixing a
boot-sector GRUB install without some fool coming along and
diverting the entire thread into "Why the hell isn't GRUB
installed on your MBR?"

When you have a (God forbid!) space character in your
directory/file names and some program chokes on it?
"Stop putting spaces in your file names."

When you ask how to make a passwordless account or how to obtain
permanent root privileges?
"Are you insane?!"

When you ask if there is a defragmenter for Linux?
Some fool comes along and says "Linux doesn't need
defragmentation!!!!!!!!!"

When you ask why the fonts are blurry?
"It's just different, you're just picky. Get used to it."

When you ask why the touchpad is so darn hypersensitive?
"Modify the source code."

Bottom line:

Yeah, there's _always_ way to fix your problems, if by "fixing
the problem" you mean "rewriting the OS".

It's pretty damn hard to convince Linux users that what you're
trying to do is, in fact, not out of stupidity/ignorance.

> (I tried switching the mouse to sloppy focus once... and never
> dared try it again.)

What's "sloppy focus"?