[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 19 16:58:15 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 05:51:31PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:38:32 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:49:58PM +0200, Mehrdad wrote:
> > > It's pretty damn hard to convince Linux users that what you're
> > > trying to do is, in fact, not out of stupidity/ignorance.
> >
> > It's pretty damn hard to convince Windows zealots that anything but
> > the Windows way is not out of stupidity/ignorance.
> >

> Windows zealots are pretty rare though. Most Windows users accept that
> it's just an OS, and that it has its problems and downsides. (It'd be
> pretty hard to be a Windows user and *not* accept that Windows has
> it's problems.)

Haha, true!

[...]
> > > What's "sloppy focus"?
> >
> > The window focus automatically changes to whatever window the mouse
> > is currently hovering over. Preferably WITHOUT automatically
> > bringing said window to the top. (Good luck making this work on
> > Windows. And once you actually manage to coax Windows to do it, have
> > fun seeing the train wreck that is your applications once you start
> > using them this way.)
> >

> Not exactly what you described, but similar:
>
> http://ehiti.de/katmouse/
>
> When I point at something and scroll, I expect my *target* to scroll,
> not whatever the hell random thing I just happened to have clicked on
> last.

Yeah, another annoyance -- not with Windows specifically but with GUI
apps in general -- is the search function more often than not has an
invisible cursor from which the next search begins, which may be
COMPLETELY unrelated to what you're currently looking at (e.g. if you
scrolled the screen after the previous search). Or a new search always
starts from the top of the document/page/whatever regardless of where
you currently are. This is completely counterintuitive and stupid, and
makes it a royal pain esp. when you want to search starting from a
specific location.

> I would *HATE* using windows if I didn't have that. Unfortunately, it
> doesn't *always* work on Win7 (usually does, though). Works great on
> XP.
>
> But I agree, trying to do anything the non-Windows way on Windows
> involves stupid PITA hacking, that doesn't always work right, *if*
> it's even possible at all.

Yeah, after attempting to do sloppy focus on Windows, I crawled back
into a dark corner and wept silently as I conceded to doing things the
Windows way.

> And it's not *just* doing something the non-Windows way, it's even
> specific *versions* of windows: You can't even get things the WinXP
> way on Win7. Sure, *some* things you can, *sometimes*, with obscure
> hacks that don't even always work...

Yeah that's what I meant by "hood welded shut". Although it's probably
more like "hood booby-trapped shut, open at your own risk". :-P

> Man, I'm really gonna have to get around to upgrading my laptop from
> Win7 back to XP sometime...Fuck this shit...

"Upgrading back to XP", lol!

Windows 95 was a joke, and Windows 98 was the punchline.