[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 19 22:50:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 01:15:32AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:38:32 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>
> > I prefer to communicate in complete sentences rather than
> > point-n-grunt.
>
> That's great :)
>
> I like both CLI and GUI, depending on what I'm doing, but that's
> really good.

Well, I was being a bit over the top. :-P  GUIs do have their place,
such as when you're dealing with, say, 3D CADs or inherently graphical
tasks. But IMNSHO, GUIs are overused for tasks that they aren't
necessarily the best interface for. I cringe everytime I have to
construct an expression (boolean or otherwise) using a hilariously
convoluted GUI dialogue with all manner of drop boxes and other assorted
widgets---or worse, a deeply-nested set of menus that you have to wade
through for every single term in the expression---when I could've just
typed out the expression on the keyboard in less than 1/10 of the time
it takes to point-n-grunt it out.

Makes me feel like trying to write D code in K&R C, or worse, PHP. :-P
(There goes my feeble attempt at bringing this back on topic.)

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... -- Slashdotter