LDC blacklisted in Ubuntu

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Thu Sep 20 11:04:16 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 17:26:25 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Some rather urgent news: LDC has just been blacklisted in
> Ubuntu.

It is not really news, as the LDC version in the Debian repo has
not been updated for ages. But yes, it would definitely be
important to have an LDC package in as many distribution repos as
possible.

> This seems to be entirely down to no one keeping the Debian
> universe up to date with the latest LDC work. :-(
>
> Could someone on the LDC team get in touch with Ubuntu and see
> what can be done about this?

As far as I see, we would at the very least need somebody to
maintain the Debian/Ubuntu packages for this. Unfortunately,
nobody on the core dev team uses Ubuntu for their daily work, or
has other experiences with Debian packages.

It would be great if somebody from the D community experienced in
packaging could jump in to help us on this front. We'd be happy
to help with any questions, and I don't think the packaging
process should be particularly difficult (LDC builds fine on
Ubuntu, and Arch and Fedora are already shipping recent
versions). The thing is just that creating good packages for a
system you are not intimately familiar with is quite hard, and we
are already chronically lacking manpower anyway.

David