[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Sep 21 06:54:21 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 21:15:24 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:46:00 -0400
> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:05:35 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
>> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

>> > There's also a separate one for alarms/alerts:
>> > http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/12/01/13/user.unaware.that.alarm.going.off.was.his/
>>
>> This makes sense.  Why would you ever want your alarm clock to
>> "alarm silently"
>
> I don't carry around my alarm clock everywhere I go.
>
> Aside from that, if it happens to be set wrong, I damn sure
> don't want
> it going off in a library, in a meeting, at the front row of a
> show,
> etc.
>
>> How would you wake up?
>
> By using a real alarm clock?
>
> Besides, we can trivially both have our own ways thanks to the
> simple
> invention of "options". Unfortunately, Apple apparently seems
> to think
> somebody's got that patented or something.
>
>> This is another case of
>> someone using the wrong tool for the job
>
> Apparently so ;)
>

>> I don't know any examples of sounds that disobey the silent
>> switch
>
> There is no silent switch. The switch only affects *some*
> sounds, and
> I'm not interested in memorizing which ones just so I can try
> to avoid
> the others.
>
> The only "silent switch" is the one I use: Just leave the
> fucking thing
> in the car.
>
>> except for the "find my iPhone" alert,
>
> That's about the only one that actually does make any sense at
> all.
>
>> > It's just unbelievably convoluted, over-engineered, and as
>> > far from
>> > "simple" as could possibly be imagined. Basically, you have
>> > "volume
>> > up" and "volume down", but there's so much damn modality
>> > (something
>> > Apple *loves*, but it almost universally bad for UI design)
>> > that
>> > they work pretty much randomly.
>>
>> I think you exaggerate.  Just a bit.
>>

> Not really (and note I said "pretty much randomly" not "truly
> randomly").
>
> Try listing out all the different volume rules (that you're
> *aware* of -
> who knows what other hidden quirks there might be), all
> together, and I
> think you may be surprised just how much complexity there is.
>
> Then compare that to, for example, a walkman or other portable
> music
> player (iTouch doesn't count, it's a PDA) which is 100%
> predictable and
> trivially simple right from day one. You never even have to
> think about
> it, the volume **just works**, period. The fact that the ijunk
> has
> [...]

Sorry if this is duplicate, somehow my reply was lost it seems.

In big corporations you spend more time taking care of existing
projects in big teams, than developing stuff from scratch.

In these type of environments you learn to appreciate the
verbosity of certain programming languages, and keep away from
cute hacks.

Specially when you take into consideration the quality of work
that many programming drones are capable of.

--
Paulo