Extending unittests [proposal] [Proof Of Concept]

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Fri Sep 21 07:37:37 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-09-21 14:19, Jens Mueller wrote:
>
> >Why do you need filename and line information of a unittest. If a
> >unittest fails you'll get the relevant information. Why do you want the
> >information when a unittest succeeded? I only care about failed
> >unittests. A count of the number of executed unittests and total number
> >is enough, I think.
>
> But others might care about other things. I doesn't hurt if the
> information is available. There might be use cases when one would
> want to display all tests regardless of if they failed or not.

If there are use cases I agree. I do not know one.
The question whether there are *tools* that report in case of success is
easier to verify. Do you know any tool that does reporting in case
success? I think gtest does not do it. I'm not sure about JUnit.
But of course if a unittest has additional information and that is
already implemented or easy to implement fine with me. My point is more
that for the common cases you do not need this. Maybe in most. Maybe in
all.

Jens