Review of Andrei's std.benchmark

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:05:52 PDT 2012

On 21 September 2012 07:30, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> I don't quite agree. This is a domain in which intuition is having a hard
> time, and at least some of the responses come from an intuitive standpoint,
> as opposed from hard data.
>
> For example, there's this opinion that taking the min, max, and average is
> the "fair" thing to do and the most informative.

I don't think this is a 'fair' claim, the situation is that different
people are looking for different statistical information, and you can
distinguish it with whatever terminology you prefer. You are only
addressing a single use case; 'benchmarking', by your definition. I'm more
frequently interested in profiling than 'benchmark'ing, and I think both
are useful to have.

The thing is, the distinction between 'benchmarking' and 'profiling' is
effectively implemented via nothing more than the sampling algorithm; min
vs avg, so is it sensible to expose the distinction in the API in this way?