[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 21 14:38:06 PDT 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:13:22 +0200
"Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 September 2012 at 19:09:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >
> > The saddest thing is that people are paying big bucks for this
> > kind of
> > "enterprise" code. It's one of those things that make me never
> > want to
> > pay for *any* kind of software... why waste the money when you
> > can
> > download the OSS version for free? Yeah a lot of OSS code is
> > crap, but
> > it's not like it's any worse than the crap you pay for.
> >

> Welcome to my world. As a Fortune 500 outsourcing consulting
> company
> employee, I see this type of code everyday.

I find it depressing to see just how *easy* it is to have
dailywtf-worthy material. They anonymized my name as Nate here:

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/We_Have_Met_the_Enemy.aspx

Note also that the "' ...code here" and "' ...more code here" sections
were typically HUGE.

And that was only scratching the surface of the lunacy that was going
on there - both in and out of the codebase.

I've been sticking to contract stuff now, largely because I really
just can't take that sort of insanity anymore (not that I ever could).
If I ever needed to go back to 9-5 code, or cubicles, or open-floorplan
warrooms, I'd *really* be in trouble.