Review of Andrei's std.benchmark

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Sep 23 04:33:07 PDT 2012

On 22/09/12 07:10, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I think this entire discussion serves as evidence that, at the very
> least, it needs to communicate that scope/methodology/rationale better
> that it currently does. If all of us are having trouble "getting it",
> then others certainly will too.

My feeling is that even with a good explanation in the docs, you're _still_
going to have a regular stream of people showing up on the mailing lists going,
"Hey, why can't I get my preferred metric with std.benchmark??!!"

So, even if there's good reason to think their preferences are daft, it might be
worth supporting what they want to do, just to avoid that continuous stream of
requests.

> Aside from that, there's the second key issue: whether the
> current intended scope is sufficient. Should it be more general in
> scope and not so specialized? Personally, I would tend to think do, and
> I think that seems to the the popular notion. But I don't know for sure.
> If it should be more generalized, than does it need to be so for the
> first iteration, or can it be done later after being added to phobos?
> That, I have no idea.

This is what I was wondering, whether it's possible to take the current
functionality but leave the door open to extending it with a different choice of
metrics.

Under the extended version, the default metric would be as it is currently, the
docs would explain why this default makes sense and the caveats related to other
metrics, but ultimately if the user wanted to use them, they'd be available.

But I'd only like to see that happening if there is a "natural" path to the
extended version rather than breaking changes or significant rewrites.