DIP19: Remove comma operator from D and provision better syntactic support for tuples

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Sep 25 08:08:25 PDT 2012

On 9/25/12 10:05 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> OK, my bad. It means that tuple(...) behave differently than T...
> defined tuples.
>
> And both behave differently than Caml or Haskell's tuples.
>
> isn't the time for some unification ? Preferably on how tuples work in
> other languages, except if limitations can be shown and better proposal
> are made (and not include that in D2.xxx).

I'm not sure actually. The way I look at it, built-in tuples are quite
low-level (types can't be spelled, automatic expansion and flattening,
undecided first-class semantics) and should seldom be dealt with
directly. The best use of built-in tuples is in the implementation of
truly well-behaved, composable tuples.

Andrei