[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Sep 25 10:37:06 PDT 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:10:09 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 07:52:15PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>>> A lot of the videogames I've played have independent adjustable
>>> SFX/music/voice volumes. I've even happily made use of that. And I'm
>>> damn glad that the TV *still* has a properly working volume control
>>> despite that because I make even more use of that.
>>
>> Yeah I almost never play games with music on, 'cos I generally find
>> the music not to my liking. SFX I sometimes leave on low, though on
>> handhelds I generally turn both off. But the option to only have SFX
>> without music is a plus. I *have* deleted apps before that didn't
>> allow independent settings.
>>

> I never used to mute videogame music until they started licensing stuff
> from the record labels. Like all that "EA Trax" stuff. Blech. Last
> generation, that was one of the great things about the XBox: custom
> soundtracks. My brother introduced me to Quarashi's Jinx album which
> made for a far better soundtrack for THPS2X than the built-in songs.
> The Tony Hawk games from 3 onward were almost unplayable with the
> built-in music enabled.

One really interesting side effect of using licensed music in games is that it can prevent the game from being re-released as a "classic" later on, ported to other platforms, etc, if the licensing deal didn't include a clause for that (which is typically the case). There have been games re-released in the past few years with no music track because the license didn't allow for its inclusion.