Ch-ch-changes

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:47:54 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 at 22:09:37 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> [SNIP]
>
> We want to move dmd forward faster, and we're encouraging
> committers to be more aggressive about reviewing and merging
> patches. Language changes will still have to get through Scylla
> and Charybdis (that's Walter and yours truly), but bug fixes
> and other non-controversial work can be safely parallelized.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei
>
> [SNIP]

Any chance we could see some sort of "dedicated hand holders" for
the newer contributors? That or "semi-trusted" validators: They
wouldn't have the power to merge themselves, but could still tag
pulls as "Validated by XXX": Basically, a screening process.

I know that personally, I feel like I can help, but at the same
time, I know I sometimes try to push some bad code/design. I'm
glad there is someone that actually takes the time to review my
code, but at the same time, I don't want to bother the dedicated
pullers that already have a lot on their plate.

Also (but more related to Phobos), I have myself tried to review
others' code (when my field of knowledge permits), but it seems
like it is not something that is done very often.

Overall, I think the most important thing would be promoting
cross puller reviews. If only just to say "looks good to me!": It
can give the puller that extra confidence in the pull, without
having to delve into it.

I don't mind having to wait 3 weeks for a pull to go through, but
it is kind of weird when the pull just sits there with no
comments *from anyone* during those 3 weeks...