[OT] Was: totally satisfied :D

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Sep 26 09:30:43 PDT 2012

On Sep 25, 2012, at 11:11 PM, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:42:26PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 9/25/12 7:24 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>> Me too. My wife has FB, and that's good enough for me.
>>>
>>> Sad to say, though, I got suckered into signing up for Google+.
>>
>> No Facebook but Google+? That's it. You're out. Use Go.
> [...]
>
> Heh heh... I was half-expecting you'd show up in this thread after all
> the anti-FB sentiment, and sure enough you did. ;-)
>
> Seriously, though, no offense intended, but I find FB's privacy policy
> rather ... lacking for my tastes. That's not to say G+ isn't susceptible
> to Big Brotherisms, of course, Google being what it is, but at least it
> gives you the illusion of control, like controlling who sees which posts
> (which FB imitated after the fact, if you allow me to say so), easier
> management of friends with the circles system, being able to delete your
> account data without caveats and jumping through hoops, etc..

Google+ is an opt-out service rather than an opt-in service if you have a gmail account, so that you have G+ isn't surprising.  Personally, I really like the G+ interface.  It does exactly what I want simply and succinctly, which is shocking from a Google product as typically, I'd hold up their apps as examples of terrible UI designs.  Facebook has the community though, so that's what I actually use despite not really liking the interface or anything else.