LDC blacklisted in Ubuntu

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 26 17:58:08 PDT 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 26 September 2012 16:46, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:
> > On Friday, 21 September 2012 at 19:59:36 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd add here that you're talking about by far the most widely used distro.
> >> [?]
> >> Isn't it worth someone from the LDC team discussing with the Ubuntu people
> >> concerned (e.g. the person who decided to blacklist the package) and try and
> >> get their feedback and advice on packaging?  My experience is that the
> >> Ubuntu team are fairly friendly and helpful.
> >

> > I don't doubt that distro packages are vital for providing a smooth
> > experience for Linux users. However, and this is unfortunately a big
> > "however", at the same time I don't think I will be able to look into
> > providing those packages myself any time soon (besides for Arch, but that
> > front is already covered; big thanks to Sven/svenstaro!), simply because I'm
> > happy if I find enough time to look into any LDC issues whatsoever at all
> > right now.
> >
> > Joseph, Russel, you seem to be both personally interested in D/LDC and quite
> > knowledgeable about Debian-style packaging. Might I suggest that you think
> > about joining the LDC forces as a package maintainer? It certainly isn't a
> > huge amount of work to do, but many small items also add up?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
>

> Was it Mattias or Arthur who was the last maintainer?  I could
> probably pull some strings with them to pass it down to a more active
> / willing maintainer.  Heck, I don't mind putting my name down as the
> package maintainer.
>

> Regards
> --
> Iain Buclaw
>
> *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';

I have on my personal todo list a few major items (among many others):

1) add support for multiple projects (dmd2 being the only one currently)
2) add packaging of built artifacts for master builds
3) add uploading of packaged builds to github
4) on-demand builds of specific tags -- intended for release builds

I have made some of the internal cleanups to the build server to prepare
for #1, but there's still a lot to do, though mostly in the administrative
interfaces, not _that_ much on the get things to run a build side.

It's been my intent to use gdc and/or ldc as the first examples of non-dmd
projects supported by the auto-tester.

The result of the above features would be that releases would be fully
automated, at least from the point of tag creation through uploaded and
publically available packages.

I don't know what's involved in getting built-packages into the various
distributions.  I suspect that a number of them prefer to be built by
their own automation from original (or forked) sources.  I'd be happy to
engage with the appropriate people to explore ways to work together in
this space.

No promises on any delivery dates, but work is in progress.

Thoughts?

Later,
Brad