LDC blacklisted in Ubuntu

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 00:02:27 PDT 2012

On 27 September 2012 03:14, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:58:08PM -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> [...]
>> > I don't know what's involved in getting built-packages into the
>> > various distributions.  I suspect that a number of them prefer to be
>> > built by their own automation from original (or forked) sources.  I'd
>> > be happy to engage with the appropriate people to explore ways to work
>> > together in this space.
>> [...]
>>
>> For Debian, the process is relatively simple:
>>
>> 1) Create a debian/ subdir in the source tree, with appropriate
>>    control files (for existing packages, this has already been done)
>>    a) Update debian/changelog to reflect the new version number.
>>    b) Adjust any necessary dependencies, etc., in debian/control.
>>
>> 2) Build the package by running 'dpkg-buildpackage ...' in the source
>>    tree. This creates a bunch of files (including the binary .deb) in
>>    the parent directory.
>>
>> 3) [Optional] Preferably, test the .deb to make sure it doesn't cause
>>    massive system breakage.
>>
>> 4) Upload the generated package files in the parent directory by the
>>    build process, either by sending it to a sponsor or uploading it
>>    directly to the upload queue if you have upload access. The dupload
>>    script automatically determines which file(s) should be uploaded.
>>
>> Once the package is uploaded successfully, the autobuilder
>> infrastructure can be used to build the package for the umpteen
>> architectures that Debian supports.
>>
>> IIRC, once the package gets into the Debian archive it will eventually
>> find its way into Ubuntu (and possibly the other Debian derivatives).
>
> That works well for packages which are single source tree.  The current
> dmd, druntime, phobos, d-programming-language, tools separation makes that
> a little more challenging to put together, but not a lot.  It's probably
> worth doing regardless.  I realize that gdc and ldc are both in better
> shape in this area already.
>
> #4 there implies it's a source package, though I could be mis-interpreting
> you.  Is there a path for externally built binary packages?  That's fairly
> counter to the general distribution philosophy for most of them, so I'm
> giong to guess no.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

For #4, yes.  Ubuntu is a better platform to approach for externally
built binary-only packages.  But for debian, you could possibly do
something similar to how eg: the flash-plugin installer package works
- downloads the tar.gz/zip from an external site, extract and install
/ configure in system.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw