Rust and D

Thiez thiezz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 05:10:04 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 29 September 2012 at 10:53:57 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> So, with this in mind, do you think these hypothetical people
> are all justified?
>
> (a) [Go programmer]: D is rubbish because it doesn't have
> channels.
> (b) [Lisp programmer]: D is rubbish because it doesn't have
> homoiconicity.
> (c) [Haskell programmer]: D is rubbish because it doesn't have
> full type inference.

Would you agree D would be better if it had those features?

How about we rephrase to something less inflammatory:
  [Go programmer]: I prefer not to use D because it doesn't have
channels.
  [Lisp programmer]: I prefer not to use D because it doesn't have
homoiconicity.
  [Haskell programer]: I prefer not to use D because it doesn't
have full type inference.

Suddenly they all seem like perfectly acceptable arguments. If a
person really likes/needs a certain language feature, then surely
that is a good reason to reject a language that does not have
this feature?

Many people like generics. Go doesn't have them. So why get angry
if these people reject Go?