Rust and D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 29 08:03:18 PDT 2012

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:15:51 +0200
"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 29 September 2012 at 14:03:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
> > And sometimes I need to get work done instead of trying out all
> > of the
> > 100's of languages out there in some altruistic quest to be
> > fair to
> > everybody.
>
> Nothing wrong with that, but rejecting a language because you
> don't have time to try it out is much different for rejecting it
> because it lacks a single feature.

It's not as different as it may seem.

People have limited time. Some have more, some have less (hell,
probably most have less), but *nobody* can go trying out all the
languages out there, so we all have to have some some "filter" for
picking the ones we feel most likely to pay off, narrowed down to
whatever our schedule will even allow. Usually this is all implicit
and maybe even sub-conscious, but it's always there.

So when someone is "rejecting a language because it lacks a single
feature" without even trying it, then no, I don't believe that they
actually *are* rejecting it *just* because it lacks one feature, at
least not in most cases. Because there's always still an implicit "I
don't have time to pursue a language that I feel may not be likely
enough to pay off."