Getting started with D - Phobos documentation sucks

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 10:03:53 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 29 September 2012 at 16:34:41 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/29/12 11:30 AM, Mr. Anonymous wrote:
>> I think documentation is really important, and something has
>> to be done
>> about it. How can a newcomer get started with D when he
>> doesn't have a
>> readable documentation of Phobos?
>
> Agree. It's high time we replace the silly litany of names at
> the top with a more sensible index (or, indeed, nothing at all!)
>
> Andrei

Well, they *are* better than nothing at all. Sure, in the best of
worlds, we'd have lovingly hand written indexes and
documentation, such as for std_algorithm. However, for those
modules that *don't* have that hand written doc, it is better
than nothing.

IMO, however, anything "nested" should NOT appear in the top
index though, just the module's global functions and
classes/structs. Anything else is clutter:

std_container is a blatant example of the clutter I'm talking
about: There is everything in there from "front" to
"opIndexOpAssign"...

Either that, or reorganized, as in:
Array (front, back, ... opIndexOpAssiggn)
Rather than the current free for all.