Rust and D

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 10:04:01 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 29 September 2012 at 14:27:03 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
>> My question to you: Is it okay to reject D solely with these
>> arguments?
>
> If it's in-line with their needs, then yes. It'd be both
> selfish and
> absurd for us to demand that everyone tries out and becomes
> proficient
> with our language and our language's way of doing things before
> deciding whether or not our language is right for them and
> worth their
> time.

Again, no one is making any demands. I'm asking for one of two
things from people: either try the language then form an educated
opinion, or don't try it and say nothing. The problem is that
people are reading "no generics", not trying the language, and
then shouting out that it is rubbish.

> And in addition to all that, I doubt very much that most people
> who
> say things to the effect of "I won't use Go because it lacks
> generics"
> are *truly* basing it *purely* on the lack of generics, so the
> whole question is academic anyway.

See post 4 in this thread. That's what got me started.

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/tpwsxxjghbpsheexyrdq@forum.dlang.org#post-hqhkcxyqtbrbasuknmdt:40forum.dlang.org

Yes, you said "most", and one post is not most, but I see this
attitude a lot. Evidently Rob Pike does as well. I'm sure most
people here have seen similar arguments against D.