dynamic library building and loading

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Sat Sep 29 23:41:28 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 29 September 2012 at 16:09:14 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> There's no point in doing that. But what I'm saying is if you
> know beforehand the libraries you will use you can get quite
> far with static libraries.

There are plenty of cases where you have to use a dynamically
loaded lib even if you know before hand what will be loaded. I
think you understand this if I read your posts correctly.

In my case I have a pre-existing C++ app that is designed to load
user defined C++ plugins. I wanted to interface D to one of my
own C++ plugins, but I apparently cannot do it reliably because
of initialization issues with the GC and possibly some other
obscure items.

If I can figure out what needs to be done to resolve the problem
in enough detail, then maybe I can hack the runtime source and
roll out a solution.

The GC always seems to pop up as a source of problems. For long
term solution, the GC should be made 100% optional (in practice
as opposed to in theory), the standard library ought to be made
to work with or wothout a GC (or simply without), and the GC
itself should be easily replaceable with alternate versions. I
think this idea has already been discussed elsewhere, and is on
the TODO list (I hope!).

--rt