Request for review - std.serialization (orange)

Matt Soucy msoucy at csh.rit.edu
Mon Apr 1 13:57:59 PDT 2013

On 04/01/2013 04:38 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Monday, 1 April 2013 at 17:24:05 UTC, Matt Soucy wrote:
>> From what I got from the examples, Repeated fields are done roughly as
>> following:
>> auto msg = fields.map!(a=>a.serialize())().reduce!(a,b=>a~b)();
>> return ((id<<3)|2) ~ msg.length.toVarint() ~ msg;
>> Where msg is a ubyte[].
>> -Matt Soucy
>
> I think that would fall under some form of compression, namely
> compressing the ID :P
>
> BTW, I love how easy that is to read.

So, I looked at the code I'm currently working on to handle these...and
it's literally that, except "raw" instead of "fields". UFCS is kind of
wonderful in places like this.

You're right, that does count as compression. It wouldn't be hard to
number the fields during serialization, especially if you don't need to
worry about the structure changing.

-Matt Soucy