File compare/merge

Sergei Nosov sergei.nosov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 00:06:58 PDT 2013

On Monday, 1 April 2013 at 23:06:10 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, April 01, 2013 12:53:23 Walter Bright wrote:
>> Life has gotten a lot easier for me trying to manage multiple
>> branches of D
>> since I've been using file compare/merge tools.
>>
>> I use winmerge for Windows, and meld for Linux. They are both
>> free, and work
>> great.
>>
>> What do you use?
>

> Being an avid KDE user, I use kdiff3, and it works quite well,
> but I also don't
> find that I need to use merge tools very often.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I've used kdiff3 on Windows and Linux before I switched to Emacs
for all sw-realted tasks. From now on I use ediff for viewing
diffs as well as resolving git merge conflicts. It has really
nice integration with magit, an Emacs git front-end and may I say
the best git front-end there is.

Although, "simple installation" (well, configuration in that
case) is not something you can tell about it. It looks awkward
out-of-the-box, but it's fully customizable. Personally, I don't
find it that hard and think the result worth every bit of effort.
But for many people it's like "do I really have to do this arcane
stuff just to see the diff?"