About the Expressiveness of D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Apr 2 19:13:48 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, April 02, 2013 17:01:32 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/2/2013 4:55 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> > I usually find the build in unittests to cause more skew since those are
> > counted as LOC.
>
> Often, in pulls for D, the LOC of the unittests exceeds the LOC of the fix.
>
> I'm inordinately pleased with how well unittests have become embedded in our
> D culture.

Yes, though I've had complaints before about a pull being too much code where
the unit tests were considered part of the code, and the reviewer thought that
number of lines was too great to be worth adding, even if the number of lines
of normal code was relatively small. And that sort of attitude would just lead
to not properly unit testing stuff. And while we do some great unit testing
(the built in unit test feature is a _huge_ success in that regard), there are
at least some areas where we really need to step up our game on that (with
ranges in particular given all of the variations of them there are and how
many static if branches many range-based functions have).

So, what we've got is great, but we can do better.

- Jonathan M Davis