DIP33: A standard exception hierarchy

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Apr 3 00:01:08 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-02 22:15, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

> This illustrates my point nicely!  What does the shell do in this case?
> It treats both errors the same:  It prints an error message and returns
> to the command line.  It does not magically try to guess the filename,
> find a way to get you permission, etc.

No, but you do know the difference. It doesn't just say "can't open file
<filename>". It will say either, "file <filename> doesn't exist" or
"don't have permission to access <filename>". It's a huge difference. I
know _what_ went wrong with that file, not just that _something_ when wrong.

--
/Jacob Carlborg