File compare/merge

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 00:32:30 PDT 2013

On 01.04.2013 22:36, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 12:53:23 -0700
> Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Life has gotten a lot easier for me trying to manage multiple
>> branches of D since I've been using file compare/merge tools.
>>
>> I use winmerge for Windows, and meld for Linux. They are both free,
>> and work great.
>>
>> What do you use?
>
> I've been using Beyond Compare <http://www.scootersoftware.com/> for
> over ten years now. Can't live without it, and wouldn't want to
> anyway ;) Heck, I use it a lot even for non-development purposes.

I agree, Beyond Compare is the best I know (though I didn't really
searched further after buying it).

Trying to do some pull request reviews I was pretty turned down by the
very small context visible in the diffs on github. So I wrote a little
program to help getting a visual side-by-side diff:

https://github.com/rainers/visuald/blob/master/tools/cmppull.d

Assuming that you have copied the link to the pull request page to the
clipboard, it

- extracts the link form the clipboard (or from the command line)
- downloads that page
- extracts information about the author, branch and number of commits
- fetches the changes
- starts the TortoiseGit "Diff to previous version" dialog and fills
some text fields with appropriate entries

This allows to review the pull request using your favorite diff tool.
The implementation is currently very Windows-specific, but it should not
be too hard to adopt it to other systems or tools.

Rainer

PS: the win32 curl libraries don't seem to support https. Is this
correct or do they need some special setup?
PPS: the win64 curl libraries are not available for download. Is this an
oversight?