About the Expressiveness of D

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 08:55:15 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 3 April 2013 at 02:44:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> If we did datetime all over again, I'd give a budget of 2000
> lines for all functionality. I bet the solution would be better.

I think you are massively underestimating the complexity and
subtleties of dates and time.

For comparison, min and max in std.algorithm come to nearly 200
lines on their own, and their unittests are hopelessly lacking.
Things like min(uint.min, int.max) are not tested, even though
there's specific code to handle them. To suggest that date and
time handling is a mere 10x more complex than min/max is a bit
naive in my opinion.