About the Expressiveness of D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Apr 3 10:58:20 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, April 02, 2013 20:41:23 Walter Bright wrote:
> > Too many of them just test a few cases to make sure that the most
> > obvious stuff works rather than making sure they test corner cases and
> > whatnot.
> Currently, the datetime unittest coverage is 95%. Some of the 0 cases
> suggest low hanging fruit.
>
> Despite what I just said, datetime has one of the highest unittest coverages
> of any phobos module. Pretty much all of the phobos module unittest
> coverage testing indicates more work is needed.
>
> Minor perf improvement: the order of the tests in yearIsLeapYear() should be
> reversed, especially since signed divide is a very slow operation, and it
> is called 20 million times by the unittests!!!

Yes. That's one of the things that I need to improve. std.datetime has a lot
of tests, so it needs to do a better job of ordering stuff within unittest
blocks in a manner which minimizes their cost. They need to be thorough, but
they should also efficient, or the tests will end up taking too long (which is
why it doensn't do a lot of testing with exceptions right now, since they slow
the tests down considerably).

- Jonathan M Davis