About the Expressiveness of D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Apr 3 10:58:49 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, April 03, 2013 13:37:40 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > find your focus on trying to keep unit tests to a minimum to be disturbing
> > and likely to lead to poorly tested code.
>
> Well that's quite the assumption.

If you push for the lines of unit testing code to be kept to a minimum, I
don't see how you can possibly expect stuff to be thoroughly tested. There are
times that better written tests take up less space, but testing isn't free,
and if anything, we need more of it, not less, if we want to make sure that
all of Phobos works correctly. And on multiple occasions now, you've balked at
what I would consider to be properly thorough unit tests and wanted them to be
reduced in size. And since that generally means testing fewer things, I think
that it's pretty much a sure thing that it's generally going to lead to poorer
testing and increase the risk of code being buggy.

- Jonathan M Davis