About the Expressiveness of D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Apr 3 11:44:16 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:29:53 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/3/2013 11:08 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > I'm very much in
> > favor of having 100% test coverage on every line that _can_ be tested
> > (there may be rare exceptions to that, but I don't think that
> > std.datetime has any of them).
>
> I'd be shocked if running -cov for the first time *didn't* come up with
> issues.

Yes. My point was that 100% should be the goal, whereas I know a number of
developers who consider something like 70% to be sufficient - and these are
folks who actually believe in writing unit tests. Certainly, expecting to hit
100% with -cov on the first try isn't generally very realistic unless you're
always extremely thorough with your tests, and even then, it's easy to miss a
line or two on rarer branches, especially as functions become more complex.

- Jonathan M Davis