About the Expressiveness of D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 20:24:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:42:12 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/2013 9:49 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> +1
>
> Stylistic nit:
>
> When writing a one-liner post like this, please do not quote the entire
> preceding post, especially if it is long. We have great forum software,
> and the newsreaders as well are great at navigating the threads.

I couldn't disagree more.  The given +1 had 4 lines of context.  There was
some straggling text after it, but this was only an additional 5 lines.

My newsreader highlights replied-to text in different colors depending on
the level of indent.  I can immediately pick out new replies, and if I
don't want to read the re-posted stuff, I don't have to, unless I want to
for context.

Newsreaders are known not to thread things properly, and some people's
posts don't thread properly ANYWHERE.  Context is important.

> Not to pick on you, but I see this a lot here from many of our
> participants and finally felt compelled to speak up!

I find posts that are solely about how you didn't "post properly"
annoying.  Kind of like compulsively telling someone they didn't use
correct grammar (for which I have to fight my instincts in order to remain
married).  Sorry, I had to say something ;)

-Steve