On the performance of building D programs

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 08:08:00 PDT 2013

05-Apr-2013 18:12, Paulo Pinto пишет:
> On Friday, 5 April 2013 at 12:51:58 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> On 4/5/13, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:
>>> By checking if foo.obj is outdated in regards to foo.d
>>
>> The compiler doesn't know that foo.d was built into foo.obj, it has no
>> way of knowing that.

Something as simple as adding an MD5 digest plus a mime-type of a source
file as a "finger-print" in a separate section would have worked.

It wouldn't even need to change how object files work but would preserve
1:1 mapping of sources to obj. And we could have gone this way in D but
since C objects produced by other compiler won't have this ability it
would be quite limited (and conservative).

 > Hence my remark of a modern linker.

Yup, UNIX is so UNIX.

--
Dmitry Olshansky