About the Expressiveness of D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 09:33:28 PDT 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 02:16:02 -0400, SomeDude <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 4 April 2013 at 18:00:27 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>> Mac mail fixed this problem for me.  All previously received text is
>> folded out, no need to look at it.
>>

> So there is a lot of visual noise for nothing, and you like it ?

I like that I don't have to deal with it.  I also don't have to deal with
it if the person deletes the replied-to text.  In other words, it takes
all forms, and gives me what I need to read.

> And what if one uses the web forum, like me ? Or Thunderbird ? Do we
> need to buy a mac and use your newsreader ?

No, I'm just stating that I don't have that problem.  That is with email
though, mac mail doesn't do newsgroups.  It's not a solution for you, it's
just that I realized I don't have to ever deal with this anymore, which I
hadn't thought about.

> Seriously, the netiquette *demands* that you trim previous mails to keep
> only the necessary.

There is no technical requirement for this.  I don't think any of this
would be grounds for banning here, so as long as you get your point
across, I don't see a problem.

There is the notion that if you make your posts annoying to read, less
people will read them.  But for this specific instance, I found 9 lines of
context not to be a burden, even though 5 lines were unneeded.

> If everybody was doing like you, we would end up having posts hundreds
> of lines long, most of which being noise.

I typically trim down my posts to the relevant information.  I do it
because it makes my point come across much better.

-Steve