On the performance of building D programs

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri Apr 5 10:47:40 PDT 2013

Am Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:02:22 +0200
schrieb Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>:

> On 4/5/13, Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:
> > Another option is wildcards (std.*).
>
> Yep, I use this for unittesting and it works nice.
>
> On 4/5/13, Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:
> > -r should be disabled for such cases - thus, enabled only when
> > there's one .d file and no .obj / .lib files.
>
> The .lib file could be an import library.
>
> On 4/5/13, Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:
> > I think we should promote the use of pragma(lib) instead.
>
> I remember other compiler writers saying pragma should not be used (I
> think GDC was it).

It's not like we don't want to support it, we can't(*) implement
pragma lib in gdc due to gcc's architecture. (split into compiler (cc1d)
and link driver(gdc). cc1d can't communicate with gdc)

* With some effort (read hacks) it could be possible but it would likely
  prevent gdc from being merged into upstream gcc, so...