Disable GC entirely

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 01:08:24 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 6 April 2013 at 08:01:09 UTC, Adrian Mercieca wrote:
> So I'll either have to not use the runtime+standard libraries
> and
> implement all I'd need myself without GC or else stick to C++.
> The latter
> would be a pity because I really like D, but then in C++ I have
> full
> control and the performance is always good.

It is actually even worse, as omitting runtime cripples core
language noticably. I was hinted with this cool project though :
https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd

> In my very simple test, the GC version of my program ran more
> than twice
> slower than the non GC version. I just cannot accept that kind
> of
> performance penalty.

Raw performance is kind of achievable if you use own memory pools
for data and limit GC only for language constructs (appending to
slices, delegates etc.) - those to approaches can happily coexist
in D.

Problems start when soft real-time requirements appear.