Formal Review of std.process

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 09:12:50 PDT 2013

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:38:14 -0400, Vladimir Panteleev
<vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:

> Um, that's exactly how it works. There is a value in the PE header which
> determines this. The corresponding linker flag is /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS for
> a GUI program or /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE for a console program.
>
> The flag specifies that you want to run a console application, but want
> to suppress its console window.

Shit, I didn't remember this correctly at all!

Yes, I remember now.  It was for GUI applications that wanted to run a
console application.  Because there was no console window for the parent
process, windows creates one.

Like an application that wanted to run a script or something.  I ran into
this a million years ago when I was using Tango, and I had a GUI agent
that ran programs on behalf of a remote process, and annoying console
windows would pop up if the application was a script, seemingly at random.

Sorry I misrepresented!

In light of this, there really is no good reason it was called gui!  I
probably was this confused when I picked that name to begin with ;)

-Steve