Disable GC entirely

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Apr 7 14:29:53 PDT 2013

Am 07.04.2013 23:07, schrieb Minas Mina:
> I agree that language support for disabling the GC should exist. D, as I
> understand, is targeting C++ programmers (primarily). Those people are
> concerned about performance. If D as a systems programming language,
> can't deliver that, they aren't going to use it just because it has
> better templates (to name something).

Just as an example.

This startup sells Oberon compilers for embedded boards (Cortex-M3 and
NXP LPC2000)

http://www.astrobe.com/default.htm

You get a normal GC systems programming language running on bare metal
on these systems.

Surely it also allows for manual memory management in modules that
import the pseudo module SYSTEM, similar to system code in D.

The company exists since 1997, so they must be doing something right.

On my modest opinion this and improving the GC's current performance
would be enough.

Or maybe have the option to use reference counting instead of GC, but
not disabling automatic memory management altogether.

--
Paulo