Disable GC entirely

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:08:35 PDT 2013

08-Apr-2013 19:17, Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
> On 4/8/13 3:35 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Scott Meyers had a talk about what he called red code/green code. It was
>> supposed to statically enforce that green code cannot call red code.
>> Then what is green code is completely up to you, if it's memory safe,
>> thread safe, GC free or similar.
>>
>> I don't remember the conclusion and what could be implemented like this,
>> but here's the talk:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=scott%20meyers%20red%20green%20code&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJfu9Kc1D-gQ&ei=fXJiUfC3FuSB4gS41IHADQ&usg=AFQjCNGtKwLcr2jNjsC4RJ0_5k8WmAFzTw&bvm=bv.44770516,d.bGE
>>

> Article: http://www.artima.com/cppsource/codefeaturesP.html
>
> It's one of Scott's better works but it went underappreciated. I think
> it would be worthwhile looking into how to implement such with D's
> features (notably attributes).

I guess that the implementation far behind the beauty of concept.

IRC I once proposed something to the same affect of the red/green code.
I was trying to see what kind of general feature could supersede
@safe/@trusted/@system, pure and nothrow. The end result of that
exercise for me was that there is exactly 2 orthogonal features:

- tags on code with policies that manage the relation of these
	(much like routing policy)
- a tool to define restrict blocks of code to a certain subset of
language(here goes nothrow, nogc, pure - various sets of restrictions)

The problem is picking cool syntax, implementation :o) and doing some
crazy field testing.

--
Dmitry Olshansky