Official D Grammar

Christopher Bergqvist spambox0 at digitalpoetry.se
Mon Apr 8 14:50:10 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 at 19:00:21 UTC, Tobias Pankrath wrote:

>> I'm wondering if it's possibly to mechanically check that
>> what's in the grammar is how DMD behaves.
>
> Take the grammar and (randomly) generate strings with it and
> check if DMD does complain. You'd need a parse only don't check
> semantics flag, though.
>
> This will not check if the strings are parsed correctly by DMD
> nor if invalid strings are rejected. But it would be a start.

An alternative idea for ensuring that documentation and
implementation are in sync might be to list the full grammar
definition as a data structure that can both be used as input for
the parser and as input for a tool that generates the
documentation.  Theoretically possible, :) just look at Philippe
Sigaud's Pegged.