Disable GC entirely

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Mon Apr 8 20:09:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 08:21:06 UTC, Manu wrote:

> The C++ state hasn't changed though. We still avoid virtual
> calls like the
> plague.
> One of my biggest design gripes with D, hands down, is that
> functions are
> virtual by default. I believe this is a critical mistake, and
> the biggest
> one in the language by far.

My understanding of this is that while all of your class
functions will be virtual by default, the compiler will reduce
them to non-virtual unless you actually override them, and to
override by mistake is difficult because you have to specify the
"override" keyword to avoid a compiler error.

I'd like to see that understanding confirmed as it was only
implied in here:
http://dlang.org/overview.html

For extra safety you have to specify "final" which would be a
pain if that's what you want by default, but I'm not so sure it's
really necessary if the compiler really does optimize virtual
functions away.

BTW, the red code/green code concept sounds like the most
promising route towards a generalized solution. I'll try and find
the time to watch it as well.

--rt