Opportunity

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 09:54:28 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 15:50:11 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Lack of generics makes it very tenuous to do meaningful work on
> algorithms and their associated data structures.

Why?

> To compound the matter, Go itself doesn't follow its own
> preaching (thou shall shun generics and use interfaces
> throughout) for its own essential data structures (arrays,
> associative arrays, and channels) - all of which are generic in
> ways unattainable to client code.

Every language has primitives that have special privileges. I
don't think this can be used as an argument against Go.

> You can only go this far by claiming two data structures are
> enough and algorithms based on map/reduce are unneeded because
> there are loops.

Two *primitive* data structures. There's nothing stopping you
from creating your own data structures - they just won't be
generic like the built in ones.