Disable GC entirely

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Tue Apr 9 12:39:01 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 18:38:55 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
[...]
> All of this should be CUSTOMIZABLE and DECOUPLED! Give people
> the frigging control over the OOP breed they want to use.
>
> Providing people a toolkit not a one-button black box (and that
> button keeps getting stuck!) would be awesome.

What we have is a traditional monolithic language and compiler
which is rather inflexible and not as useful as it could be if it
were instead a library of components that you can pick and choose
from to assemble the language sub-set and compiler components
that you need for a particular application. If you don't like a
component, you should be able to plug a different one in or write
your own.

Same with the features of the language. I should be able to say
"No I don't want dynamic arrays" in this part of my code and the
compiler will refuse to compile them in. Perhaps I should even be
able to create my own language features that natively compile.

Furthermore, as a library of components, you should be able to
hook them into your applications for general use, such as
creating a JIT compiler for a sub-set of the language.

--rt