Disable GC entirely

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Tue Apr 9 22:19:17 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 10 April 2013 at 04:32:52 UTC, Manu wrote:
> moments, and give the collect function a maximum timeout where
> it will
> yield, and then resume where it left off next time I call it.

Maximum collect period is perhaps the most significant missing
feature of all. Having that alone would probably solve most of
the complaints. The other thing is not having any control over
when the thing decides to make a run. It runs while allocating
large data sets without a reason to do so slowing things down by
as much as 3x, although perhaps it has no way to know that
there's no chance for anything to be collected without help from
the programmer. What I have to do, is disable the GC, do the
allocations, then re-enable, but without the maximum timeout, you
can get a very large pause after re-enabling in the range of
seconds which is completely unacceptable for some applications.

--rt