Disable GC entirely

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Apr 10 06:44:07 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 10 April 2013 at 12:44:34 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 10 April 2013 22:37, Andrei Alexandrescu
> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/13 2:02 AM, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> I do use virtual functions, that's the point of classes. But
>>> most
>>> functions are not virtual. More-so, most functions are trivial
>>> accessors, which really shouldn't be virtual.
>>>

>> I'd say a valid style is to use free functions for non-virtual
>> methods.
>> UFCS will take care of caller syntax.
>

> Valid, perhaps. But would you really recommend that design
> pattern?
> It seems a little obscure for no real reason. Breaks the
> feeling of the OO
> encapsulation principle somewhat.
>
> I've started using UFCS more recently, but I'm still wary of
> overuse
> leading to unnecessary obscurity.

It depends what model of OO you refer to.

I have been reading lately about multi-methods usage in languages
like Dylan and Lisp, which is similar to UFCS, although more
powerful because all parameters are used when deciding which
method to bind.

OO is not only what Java/C#/C++ offer, there are other models
that for whatever reason did not make it into mainstream.

--
Paulo